The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
Achieving sobriety after therapy is quite a feat and the real work of staying sober is just only starting. Creation of novel leisure activities and establishment of targets help maintain abstinence.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
The environment in these facilities is one that can help a person stop the use or even the urge of taking drugs.
Getting back to normal life sometimes becomes challenging after a person leaves the rehab clean.
The best way to prevent relapse is by recognizing the triggers that might tempt you. Abstinence maintenance is made less difficult by this fact.
Managing And Staying Away From Temptations After Rehabilitation
Getting back to normal life after staying in a protected, controlled environment is not easy.
Time and again you may encounter situations where your commitment to sobriety is being tested.
You will have to go back to the past environment where you used to be an addict and this is what gives you the desire to go back to the drugs or alcohol.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Establish A Support System
- Those that have been able to maintain abstinence for a long time and also want you to do the same, are individuals you should be socialising with.
- You can also join the groups in your locality.
- Environment Change
- You need to change the environment in a way that you don't get the urges to use the drugs again.
- Don't go near places which make you want to use the addicted substance again.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- It makes it less difficult to resist when enticed if there are objectives to follow.
- It provides you with the focus to hold on to when times get rough and makes it easier for you to keep on track.
- Never Miss Your Follow Up Appointments
- If you have a set of follow-up appointments scheduled with your rehabilitation centre or the doctor you should not be looking to avoid the meetings.
- Always keep in mind that the experience and information you will get from your counsellors will equip you with skills and coping mechanisms that you may not figure on your own.
- Appreciation at every time.
- It can be easier to recognise the many things that we can be thankful for when we develop a strong appreciation for the life we have been given.
- You may keep a list of all things that you are grateful for that you may enjoy from day to day.
- Replace Old Bad Habits With New Healthy Habits
- Look for a fresh practice that is good and keep doing it over and over again because according to a research documented in the European Journal of Social Psychology, the time for a new practice to be second nature to one is about two months.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Join Clean Activities Rather Than Using Addictive Substances
It is crucial to change old activities and lifestyles to fresh activities during treatment.
There are a lot of activities and new hobbies that you can take part in when you are living a clean life.
You can get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 if you require more help on stopping the use of alcohol or overcoming it after leaving the rehab.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Involvement in athletics
- Visit a shop for arts and crafts
- Join online classes
- Studying a new language
Join Support Groups That Provide A Community Feel
In your post rehabilitation days, social groups that help to develop you can be found irrespective of your location. Surround yourselves with these encouraging individuals by joining a support group, attending sessions of counselling and participating in activities, which allow you to meet other people.
There are also several avenues providing continuous care and support, like one-to-one therapy and 12-steps meetings.
Partying Around Drugs And Alcohol While Remaining In Control
It may be challenging for a person who has just left rehab to resist the temptation to drink a little when they are in a bar. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
In cases where you are cornered to deal with alcohol, you may just be able to save yourself from it.
Social gatherings are tempting places but you can overcome it in the following ways
- Surround yourselves with people that can be trusted and visit the setting with a sober friend.
- Always go there with a drink devoid of alcohol to keep you busy.
- Avoid spending a lot of time in such a setting.
- The moment you feel your resolve is getting a little weaker, get out of the party immediately.
Why It Is Necessary To Get Sober And Remain That Way
Your general well being will be improved when you start being sober. Physical health benefits apart, there are many other reasons to stay clean. This include
- The company of good friends and family
- Enjoying your financial wealth
- A clear and positive outlook
- Always having a high life esteem
- Physical and mental improvements
- Being a mentor for people that are also trying to stop the use of drugs
Of all the battles you might fight, overcoming alcohol or substances abuse might be the most difficult. The process will not be fast or seamless, and it is a lifelong commitment. Overpowering situations that are challenging reveals power that you never knew you have when you fight for abstinence.
You must be willing to keep clean for you to be successful. Recollection of reasons you decided to stop using at the beginning helps when faced with urges to backslide.