Allowable Things To Bring Inside The Treatment Facility
After deciding to enrol for a rehab it is essential to understand the kind of items you will be allowed to bring into the centres along with any private items which the treatment centres will not allow.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. Majority of facilities give you a list of permitted and prohibited items.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. Part of the procedure is the inspection of your personal effects to make sure that there are no contrabands and other prohibited objects are smuggled in. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Know What To Pack
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. Although not all centres offer a checklist, some provide the patient in order to prepare them prior to admission. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. They should be able to help you with that concern. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The things allowed in one rehab may not be allowed in others.
Please find below the endorsed items
- A list of names, home addresses, and telephone numbers of the people you want to be part of your therapy (those you care about, medical professionals, 12 step guarantors, etc.).
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- You can carry an alarm clock which does not have a radio.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- All prescribed medications in their original bottle.
- Medication in liquid form should be sealed and in the freshest condition.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Your insurance cards and an ID (driving license, passport, etc.)
- All the contact information that may be used in case of anything.
- Your personal journal.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Most rehabs provide inpatients with books and magazines to read.
- In case you insist on bringing your own reading material, they are to be recovery related, self-help and spiritual materials.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Clothes For The Centre
You need to be aware of what clothes are permitted in the rehab you are going to. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
Pack only that many clothes which can be easily accommodated in your room.
Patients enjoy access to common laundry machines and therefore clothing that will last you for 7-10 days will be more than enough. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
Ensure that you bring following clothes and items that will make your week comfortable
- Shoes Regular everyday shoes, sports shoes, and shower shoes.
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- A couple of special dresses.
- A bathing suit a one piece for women and trunks for men.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bathrobe.
- A belt, if needed.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Products Recommended For Personal Toiletries And Beauty
Majority of rehabs allow only alcohol-free hygiene and cosmetic products. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. No aerosols are allowed.
You should hygiene and cosmetic products that should last a month
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Products used mostly by females
- Shaving cream
Which Items Are Prohibited
There are some items that are never allowed inside the centres. These are important to warrant a safe environment that is conducive to your wellness and recovery. Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Liquor and any form of drug
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Materials with sexual content
- Foods and drinks
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- Unapproved and previously opened medication (even if it is prescribed)
- Nail products
- Video games and DVDs
- Sporting apparatus
- Skimpy clothes
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Gaming materials
- Incense or candles
- Statement shirts with explicit or statements in reference to drugs, violence or substance abuse
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The idea behind banning them is to minimize distractions and help you stay focused on recovery. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
Some Items Are Allowed In Rehab While Others Are Not
Because policies differ from centre to centre, it is possible to find that some items are allowed in one and not in another. The list below includes items that are permitted by some centres
- Cell phone and Laptop
- In case you have this permission in your rehab, chances are your access to it is limited.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- Some centres consider your personal smoking liberty hence they allow you to bring your cigarettes.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- As long as they are new and never opened during admission.
- Chewing Gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- Music Players
- You should not be able to access the internet with these device else it will taken from you.
- Cameras should also not access the internet.
- Throwaway or Electric Razors
- This though is largely not admitted in most centres.
- Disposable razors are allowed in most cases.
- Nail Cutters
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- Some centres allow you to bring your own pillows, bedding or curtains to make you feel at ease.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. In case you got no one with you at the time of admission, they will hold the item for 24 hours until your representative can claim it. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You would obviously want any prohibited items that you've brought along by mistake to be returned to you when you leave. In case the centre doesn't store them, request them to send the items to your home address.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. Don't pack too many things; only carry things you need.
Receive Help Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. We can help you identify a rehab centre that will be effective for you.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 246 1509.